CLASSIC LONDON TOUR
By ‘tube’ or by car?
We now offer two transport options for our Classic London Private Tour: by ‘tube’ (the Londoners’ nickname for the subway transit system) or by car. Below are five reasons why you may want to consider the tube over the car version:
- Cost-effective: typically, a family of four will save over £200.00 by booking the tube over the car option.
- Time-effective: the tube is usually a rapid way to get around London, giving you more time to enjoy your tour. As London Transport advertising once proclaimed: ‘It’s quicker by tube!‘
- Eco-friendly: travelling via the tube is kinder to the environment. It’s healthier too, with a little more walking involved. Not too much walking, but enough to burn off some excess calories!
- Engaging: interact with London’s popular transit system, just like a local.
- Iconic: the tube is an attraction in itself. As the oldest and largest underground transit system in the world, it adds another dimension to the London visitor experience.
CLASSIC LONDON PRIVATE TOUR – ITINERARY
Your guide will meet you at your central London hotel or agreed meeting point at the specified time. Then, laugh, gasp and shake your head as your Classic London Private Tour takes you through the sights, sounds and stories of one of the world’s greatest cities. Depending on the day booked, the tour may also include the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Skip-the-line tickets to all attractions in your itinerary will be booked and added to your tour price.
Tower of London & Crown Jewels
Blood, Bling & Beefeaters! It’s ‘off with your head’ as we take a private guided tour of the Tower of London, London’s oldest building and a World Heritage site. Officially known as Her Majesty’s Palace and Fortress but once described by Shakespeare as ‘The Slaughterhouse’. The original ‘Tower’ was built for William the Conqueror almost 1,000 years ago, and as you will see, successive monarchs added their own defences over the years (to demonstrate their popularity!). The tour touches on the tragic tale of Anne Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII. You will discover his cruelty knew no bounds. See the awesome Crown Jewels, king of bling! Seek out the mysterious ravens. Smile with a superb photo opportunity in front of Tower Bridge. And hear how the famous Beefeaters, also known as the Yeoman Warders, with costumes designed in Henry’s reign, look after a London landmark simply drenched in history.
Changing of the Guard*
Depending on the day booked, the Classic London Private Tour may include the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace. All the Queen’s horses and all the Queen’s men in the kind of pomp that only London does best. Your guide will explain this centuries-old tradition, run through the regiments that take part, regale you with regal tales, and, as the military band marches by, bag you the best spot for photos of this popular pageant of colour.
*Note: the ceremony usually takes place on Sunday’s, Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Friday’s between August and May and daily during June and July. It does not take place at all during wet weather. If the ceremony is not scheduled on the tour date, guided tours of other attractions will be extended.
Crowning glory, focus for royal events, and one of the world’s greatest churches. This private guided tour visits the place where kings and queens have been crowned for a thousand years. Your guide will take you through a Gothic labyrinth where you’ll discover the tombs of the legendary royal women of the past, such as the Virgin Queen, Bloody Mary and Mary Queen of Scots. See too, the magnificent Henry VII Chapel ceiling. In more recent times, the Abbey was the venue for the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Prince William’s grandparents, the Queen and Prince Philip, married here too, as did his great grandparents, George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. It was also the venue for the memorable funeral of Prince William’s mother Diana, Princess of Wales, in 1997. Something of a national mausoleum, the Abbey is also the final resting places of Newton, Darwin and Dickens.
*Note: not open Sundays (an alternative attraction may be substituted).
A private tour of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s World War Two underground HQ, also known as Churchill’s War Rooms. Here, that terrible conflict is brought to life. The war rooms were completed just before the outbreak of war, accommodating map rooms, cipher rooms, switchboards and emergency living quarters used for the entire 1,562 nights of the war. From here, many of Churchill’s great speeches were broadcast. Almost all his directives and instructions were dictated in these rooms. Room 63 was a broom cupboard disguised as lavatory where Churchill had his hotline to President Roosevelt. It was set up using a revolutionary encryption device to mask conversation with ‘white noise’. A fascinating time capsule, the bunker closed down in 1945 and was not re-discovered until 1973. It also features the superb Churchill museum, featuring interactive exhibits, mementos from his life and the original door from No.10 Downing Street.
Panoramic Highlights (tour by car only)
Typical drive-by sights and photo opportunities for the Classic London Private Tour include: Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly, Pall Mall, St James’s Palace, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, London Eye, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, St Paul’s Cathedral, London Bridge, Tower Bridge and the River Thames. Phew!
CLASSIC LONDON PRIVATE TOUR – NOTES
Tour price includes:
- Personal qualified guide/driver-guide.
- Skip-the-line tickets to attractions: These are usually pre-booked by us and charged at an attraction’s standard rate including any transaction fees.
- Private guided tours of all attractions in your itinerary except where stated.
- Tour vehicle, fuel costs, parking, taxes, tolls & local charges (if selecting the car option).
- Tube travel tickets (if selecting the Tube option).
Tour price does not include:
- Meals or refreshments costs.
- Gratuities or tips to guide (at client’s discretion).
- Pick-ups or transfers from outside central London (unless agreed at time of booking).
Wednesdays & Fridays are usually best for this tour – why?
- Mondays: Later opening at the Tower of London.
- Tuesdays: Changing of the Guard does not take place during Autumn, Winter or Spring.
- Thursdays: Changing of the Guard does not take place during Autumn, Winter or Spring.
- Saturdays: Busier with longer lines. Changing of the Guard does not take place during Autumn, Winter or Spring.
- Sundays: Busier with longer lines. Churches not open for visiting. Later opening at the Tower of London.
CLASSIC LONDON TOUR
PRICES & PRACTICAL INFORMATION
● Description: day tour in London by ‘tube’ or car
– conducted by accredited guide.
● Meet: any central London address.
● Depart/return times: 8:30am-4:30pm.
● Number of persons: up to 7.
● Tour price by tube* (including travel tickets):
1-2 = £400.00; 3 = £410.00; 4 = £420.00.
5 = £430.00; 6 = £440.00; 7 = £450.00.
● Tour price by car*:
1-2 = £610.00; 3-5 = £645.00; 6-7 = £680.00.