PRIVATE CANTERBURY-DOVER TOUR – TYPICAL ITINERARY
Your driver-guide will pick-you up from your central London hotel or place of residence at the specified time. We recommend 8am. After a fast-route from London, our Private Canterbury-Dover Tour takes us into the county of Kent. Here, in the garden of England, we visit the both the religious heart and the military key to the country.
CANTERBURY & THOMAS BECKETT
Almost 850 years ago, the Christian world was rocked by a shocking assassination. On the King’s authority, the Archbishop was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral. We take a personally guided tour of this awe-inspiring medieval masterpiece and visit the site of Beckett’s murder.
THE CANTERBURY TALES
In the late 14th century, Geoffrey Chaucer wrote the story of a group of pilgrims who set out from London to visit the shrine of Thomas Beckett. What follows is a rip-roaring and frankly rude collection of tales which we will discuss this classic as we walk through this ancient town.
Your driver-guide will suggest appropriate lunch options on the day. Perhaps a village tea-room, riverside restaurant or traditional pub. Alternatively, you may want to bring a pre-packed lunch or just grab a sandwich. It’s your tour, it’s your choice. (Note: Private Canterbury-Dover Tour price does not include food or refreshments).
Dover is England’s right foot and has been the country’s front line since time immemorial. Julius Caesar was thwarted here and it became the main fortification in the Saxon shore defences. We will, of course, visit the famed White Cliffs of Dover made legendary in song.
A personally guided tour of the original castle built by the Normans. King Henry II had it rebuilt as a ‘hospitality suite’ for foreign dignitaries visiting Thomas Beckett’s shrine. In later centuries, it was used as a defence against Napoleon and Hitler with a warren of tunnels underneath.
Canterbury and Dover Private Tour includes:
- Personal qualified guide/driver-guide.
- Private guided tours of all attractions in your itinerary except where stated.
- Tour vehicle, fuel costs, parking, taxes, tolls & local charges (if selecting the car option).
Canterbury and Dover Private Tour price DOES NOT include:
- Tickets to attractions. For this tour tickets to attractions can be bought on the day.
- Meals or refreshments.
- Gratuities or tips to guide (at client’s discretion).
- Pick-ups or transfers from outside central London (unless agreed at time of booking).
● Description: day tour by private vehicle from London
conducted by accredited driver-guide.
● Typical timings: 8am-5pm.
● Pick-up/drop-off: any central London address.
● Price (based on number of passengers: max 7):
1-2 = £640.00; 3-4 = £680.00; 5-7 = £720.00.
● Attraction tickets: for this tour tickets may be
bought at the attractions on the day.