MAGNA CARTA PRIVATE TOUR – TYPICAL ITINERARY
Your driver-guide will pick-you up from your central London hotel or place of residence at the specified time. We recommend 8:30am. After a fast-route from London, our Private Magna Carta Tour examines the story behind the famous document, recently celebrating its 800th anniversary, and its background to the legend of Robin Hood.
What Is Magna Carta?
In the early 1200s, the king of England took out his frustrations on the church, people, and powerful aristocracy, by taxing them to the hilt. ‘Bad King John’ was forced to apply his seal to a ‘great charter’, drawn up to limit his powers. Magna Carta eventually became the rallying cry for democracy, upheld as a pioneering example of documented constitutional power.
We take a personally guided tour of the castle, still the premier royal residence in England. King John was besieged here by the barons brandishing their charter, and in the words of historian A.L Rowse, ‘rode out every day to receive bitter drafts of the medicine he so richly deserved’.
We visit the famous water-meadow where King John was finally forced to agree to the document. Nearby is the Magna Carta Memorial, a domed classical temple built by the American Bar Association to commemorate the document as a symbol championing fundamental human rights and liberty under the law
Your driver-guide will suggest appropriate lunch options on the day. Perhaps a tea-room, restaurant or traditional pub. Alternatively, you may want to bring a pre-packed lunch or just grab a sandwich. It’s your tour, it’s your choice. (Note: Private Magna Carta Tour price does not include food or refreshments).
We journey to Salisbury in the county of Wiltshire. After a personally guided tour inside the magnificent cathedral (the tallest medieval building in the world) we visit the Chapter House. Here we find our holy grail, a rare surviving copy of the original Magna Carta.
MAGNA CARTA PRIVATE TOUR – NOTES
Tour price includes:
- Personal qualified guide/driver-guide.
- Private guided tours of all attractions in your itinerary except where stated.
- Tour vehicle, fuel costs, parking, taxes, tolls & local charges (if selecting the car option).
- Skip-the-line tickets to Windsor Castle and Salisbury Cathedral. These are priced at the attraction’s standard rate including any transaction fees and are non-refundable.
Tour price does not include:
- Meals or refreshments.
- Gratuities or tips to guide (at client’s discretion).
- Pick-ups or transfers from outside central London (unless agreed at time of booking).
MAGNA CARTA TOUR
PRICES & PRACTICAL INFORMATION
● Description: day tour by private vehicle from London
conducted by accredited driver-guide.
● Depart/return times: 8:30am-4:30pm.
● Pick-up/drop-off: any central London address.
● Price* (based on number of passengers: max 7):
1-2 = £670.00; 3-5 = £710.00; 6-7 = £750.00.
● *Attraction tickets: for this tour we book standard
tickets in advance and add them to your tour price.