Your London Tours wants to encourage you to spend your vacation in the UK. But what can the UK offer that other countries can’t? In the latest instalment of a blog series, we continue to list our all-time favourite places that can be visited in the UK.
Welcome Back to Britain. This month, Peak District and Yorkshire.
5 reasons to visit the Peak District:
- Buxton: England’s highest market town: ‘the theatre in the hills’.
- Cromford: birthplace of modern industry and world’s oldest factory.
- Dovedale: outstanding Peak District beauty spot.
- Eyam: village that quarantined itself during the 1665 plague.
- Arbor Low: 46 neolithic stones form the northern Stonehenge.
5 reasons to visit York:
- York Minster: largest Gothic cathedral in the UK. Roman remains below.
- Town walls walk: dating from 1460: take a historic stroll along the top.
- National Railway Museum: free and fascinating museum next to York Station.
- Merchant Adventurers Hall: visit this stunning timber medieval guildhall.
- Shambles: medieval shopping street dating back to the 14th century.
5 reasons to visit the Yorkshire Dales:
- Fountains Abbey: one of the UK’s largest and best-preserved monastic ruins.
- Black Sheep Brewery, Masham: independent brewery that runs superb tours.
- Aysgarth Falls: picturesque and dramatic waterfall well worth seeking out.
- Bolton Castle: Mary Queen of Scots learnt to speak English while prisoner here.
- Wensleydale Creamery: visitor centre tells the story of a unique crumbly cheese.
Your London Tours chief administrator Jo Bull said: “We cannot force anyone to spend their vacation in the UK, but we can entice them with these recommendations. We hope they will take them into account when making Your London Tours their first port of call for a trip to remember.”