Your London Tours wants to encourage you to spend your vacation in the UK. But what can the UK offer that other countries can’t? In a new blog series, we will list our all-time favourite places that can be visited in a day-trip from London.
Welcome Back to Britain
This month, the area just north and east of London that includes the counties of Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.
5 reasons to visit Essex
- Audley End: Stately home spanning Tudor, Jacobean and Georgian architecture.
- Colchester: UK’s oldest recorded town in Britain (Roman Camulodunum).
- Colchester Castle: Built in the11th century over vaults of the ruined Temple of Claudius.
- Cressing Temple: Finest and oldest surviving medieval barns in the world.
- Kelvedon Hatch: Former secret underground nuclear bunker with museum.
5 reasons to visit Cambridgeshire
- Ely: Town with the largest collection of medieval buildings in use and a cathedral which takes pride of place.
- Cambridge: Market town noted as a centre of academic excellence with its famous university.
- Duxford Air Museum: Superb collection of military planes ~ based on a former RAF fighter station.
- American Cemetery: Moving memorial to the United States Air Force war dead containing over 3,800 graves.
- Grantchester: picturesque village, longed-for by the home-sick war poet Rupert Brooke. Is there honey, still, for tea?”
5 reasons to visit Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire
- St Albans: English city with a long and rich history. Particularly famous for its ancient Roman remains.
- Elstow: John Bunyan’s birthpalce. The place where he grew up and took inspiration for his famous Pilgrim’s Progress.
- Hatfield House: Magnificent stately home with a royal connections: it was the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth I.
- Woburn House: Former monastery, now a country mansion with an impressive animal safari park.
- Wrest Park: One of Britain’s largest and most important historical gardens. Recently restored to former glory.
Your London Tours chief administrator Jo Bull said: “We cannot force anyone to spend their vacation in the UK, but we can entice them with these recommendations. We hope they will take them into account when making Your London Tours their first port of call for a trip to remember.”