Your London Tours wants to encourage you to spend your vacation in the UK. But what can the UK offer that other countries can’t? In the latest instalment of a blog series, we continue to list our all-time favourite places that can be visited in the UK.
Welcome Back to Britain. This month, the North-East and the North-West.
5 reasons to visit the North West and Lancashire.
- Liverpool: Beatles story and Magical Mystery Tour.
- Manchester: rejuvenated Victorian city of Cottonopolis.
- Lancaster Castle: oldest criminal court in country – still used.
- Forest of Bowland: the Switzerland of England. AONB and SSSI.
- Pendle: infamous for the 17th century Pendle Hill Witch Trials.
5 reasons to visit the North East
- Newcastle: proud city built on the greatest coal mining district in the world.
- Durham: spectacular Norman cathedral once home to the Bishop of the North.
- St Paul’s, Jarrow: church of the 7th cent monastic scholar the ‘Venerable’ Bede.
- Hexham Abbey: founded 675 and built from stones from Hadrian’s Wall.
- Angel of the North: artist Anthony Gormley’s vast winged figure just off the A1.
5 reasons to visit the Northumbrian Coast
- Lindisfarne: Holy Island monastery founded by Irish monks in 635AD.
- Alnwick Castle: largest inhabited castle in the north of England built in 1096.
- Bamburgh Castle: first recorded fortification in England dating back to 547AD.
- Ashington: former coal mine now a gallery of miners’ art work.
- Berwick-upon-Tweed: historic English town near the Scottish borders.
5 reasons to visit the Hadrian’s Wall
- Hadrian’s Wall: remains of ancient Roman military towns and defences.
- Vindolanda Camp: permanent dig going on – see archaeology in action.
- Lanercost Priory: impressive ruins of 12th century priory at western end.
- Roman Army Museum: 3D introduction to ‘life on the wall’.
- Chesterholm Museum: Hadrian’s Wall artefacts well exhibited.
Your London Tours chief administrator Jo Bull said: “We cannot force anyone to spend their vacation in the UK, but we can entice them with these recommendations. We hope they will take them into account when making Your London Tours their first port of call for a trip to remember.”